Nevada LLCs offer excellent creditor protection but can be cumbersome to renew by mail. Fortunately, the Nevada Secretary of State offers an efficient method of renewing your annual list and business license online. Here’s a step-by-step process of making this otherwise confusing process quick and easy.
- Visit www.nvsilverflume.gov
- If you haven’t already registered, click ‘Register’ in the upper right-hand corner and enter your name, contact info, and pick a password.
- Once you’re registered, click ‘Log In’ in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click ‘Manage/Renew a Business.’
- Click ‘File Annual List and/or State Business License.’
- If the business name pops up in the list on the left, click that, otherwise search for your business in the search box, select your business, and click ‘Next.’
- Confirm your business is the one selected and click ‘File Annual List & State Business License.’
- Now review the Manager information. If you need to add or remove a manager or update an address, do so here. Once you’ve confirmed the information is correct, click ‘Next.’
- Review the declaration attesting to your identity and your recognition and agreement with the statements, click the box that you understand, and then “Sign” by typing in your name and title. Then click ‘Next.’
- Review the information one more time. If you need a Certificate of Good Standing, click the box and one will be generated, but will cost $50. Typically you only need this if a lender requests it or another state requires it to file there as a foreign LLC. Click ‘Next.’
- Now you’re ready to check out. Click the orange ‘Checkout Now’ button and you’ll be taken to the page to enter your payment method.
As of April 2016, the fee for your annual list is $150 and your business license is $200. Nevada is one of the more expensive states to maintain an LLC because of the unavoidable business license. Unless you are a motion picture company, a non-profit, or have a low income, home-based business, you can expect to pay a business license fee with your LLC renewal. Learn more about the business license and exemptions from it here.
Once you’ve registered, if your information is the same year to year, the renewal process could be completed in under a minute. In my experience the NV Silver Flume site offers the easiest LLC renewal process in the country.